Staff Application Process
People can have a job, a career, or a calling. Camp Augusta is looking for folks who have a calling. Camp Augusta is different from most camps – we have the longest staff training in the country, operate on a structure of flat hierarchy and consensus, and have created some of the best activity programming we know of. All of this is possible because we have dedicated and imaginative staff. Are you up for the challenge?
- Counselors must be at least 19 years old. (This is 3 years older than the oldest campers; average age of staff is 23/24; it is not uncommon to have 29 year old counselors… 39 happens too!)
- We are looking for staff members that have meaningful experience working with children in a professional/volunteer capacity.
- Main Summer 2022 dates: May 17th to August 13th inclusive. All staff are required to work these dates. Staff training begins the morning of May 17th, which means, at the latest, staff are to arrive by May 16th.
- Optionally: We are also excited for any and all staff to arrive and work for our pre-season groups and camp preparation starting on April 23rd. We also provide work for post-season groups and work lasting until mid-September.
- Make sure this camp is right for you. Read through the staff experience section.
- We acknowledge these are unprecedented times and strive to prioritize the health and safety of campers and staff so we can continue to bring camp into children’s lives through magical days spent at summer camp. As local and global information changes, we will continue to adapt our planning to the latest research and guidelines as we move toward the 2022 summer.
- General questions? Feel free to e-mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or give us a ring: 530-265-3702
If you are wondering about applying, please go ahead and fill out the Initial Interest Form. This is the best way to get started! After filling out the form a member of our hiring team will get in touch quickly.
If you’ve already filled out the interest form or have already been in contact with us and you want to go ahead and apply, look below and follow the steps. We’re excited to hear about your journey!
Apply Via Email
Read the ‘Important Notes’ in the section above.
Copy and paste the 6 application questions into a new e-mail, Word doc or Google doc.
- Who are you? Include some of the good, the bad and the ugly of your life experiences, and how they shaped who you are. There are nearly 8 Billion people in the world and you are one of them. Who are you?
- What do you want to learn, and what do you need to learn in terms of your mind, body, heart, and spirit? (two different questions, eight total parts)
- Tell me about the people that you are most connected to in your life and how those connections contribute to you as a human?
- Tell us about your experience working with youth – ages, contexts, role, etc. What role do children play in your present and future? What role have they played in your past?
- What have been the 3 biggest turning-point decisions/moments in your life? Things that have changed the course of events for you.
- What is it about this specific camp that makes Camp Augusta right for you and us? What excites you? What concerns you? What questions do you have? There are over 12,000 camps. We are one. Why us? The more you read the site and really speak from your heart and spirit here, the better your chances are.
If you’re applying for a kitchen position, please use this application.
Answer each of the questions. The average successful application (we ran the numbers!) is almost 5 pages long, single spaced, with the first two questions being the bulk. We don’t want to know basic information about you and other usual application stuff; we want to know you as a real, living, breathing human being. We don’t get a bunch of applications and decide; you are considered right away, and as you.
Consider this a journal-like entry that you’ll keep for years for its own value . . . indeed, you (and we) want the end result to be something you’d keep and look back upon even if you were not selected; and, please ensure the writing is a joy in and of itself, regardless of Augusta — those are wonderful to read. Share your heart, mind, and spirit, as that is what you’ll be doing with the campers as well.
Send your responses to: email@example.com, along with:
(a) your contact information;
(b) how you heard about us; and
(c) if you are available for more than one summer or not (how this fits into your life plan/path).
Virtually always, you’ll hear back within 48 hours, and often sooner! If not, check in with us to make sure we got it.