Hi friends and new family!
My name is Rodger but most call me Rodge or Rod. This is my first year at Camp Augusta and also my first time at a summer camp! So I am very excited for what adventures await me in Pine! So let me tell you my story. I was born in Sale which is a fairly small country town in Victoria, Australia. However, I spent most of my life higher up on the east coast in Brisbane. I am no longer studying as I have recently graduated with an undergraduate degree in Psychological Science in which I studied abroad for a semester in Calgary, Canada. Through my university I also acquired my Mental Health First Aid Certificate which I thoroughly enjoyed along with the developmental, social and humanistic counselling aspects of my degree. I believe this was enjoyable because it explores concepts about people’s life experience.
My plans for the recent future is to backpack around Europe and graduate from postgraduate study. However, when I am back home I spend my time exploring new places, playing basketball, finding a nice patch of grass to sit and draw/paint, watching live music and attending music festivals. I have recently volunteered at a wild dolphin resort in Monkey Mia as I ventured around Australia for three months and beforehand have invested time at my high school in which I coached our girls’ basketball team and assisted in the floods clean up with other alumni. I am excited to work at camp because I would like to take on new challenges for myself and the campers by sharing a unique experience. I have worked with young people for six years and over this time I have worked as a Basketball Coach and an Outside School Hours Care Educator and Coordinator. I hope that campers get to experience excitable, giddy and a little strange Rodge. I look forward to sharing some immeasurable moments with the campers in this adventure at Camp Augusta.
Fun Facts and Stories (come and chat to me about them):
- Majority of my clothing costs less than $5 each or was exchanged with someone for other clothes
- Sometimes I rap Missy Elliot to my dog
- One time I wore free dress to school on a normal school uniform day and teachers laughed at me
- When I was five I told everyone I wanted to be a ballerina and spun around. I spun so hard that I smacked my head into a wall and that ended my career in ballet
- I have bungee jumped and sky dived but am still not okay with heights
- I will own an otter
- I am really good at mahjong and you will not defeat me
- I recently lost my wallet and ran away from a kind stranger attempting to return it because I thought they were following me
- For a long period of my life I believed it was okay to eat with my hands at the dinner table
- My grandfather owned a monkey that sat on his shoulder
- On a regular day back home I would have breakfast three times a day
- I love my mum