Holy guacamole am I excited to be writing another one of these!
Some say that sequels aren’t as good as the original, but hold on to your hats and strap in, ‘cause this written sequel is going to be awesome!
My name is Casper Kjældgaard and I am super excited to be returning to Camp Augusta for the second time! I spent my first year amongst the woodchips as a Pine counsellor, and will this year be returning as a Master of Fun and Games (MFG)!
I hail from Denmark, where I’ve spent the majority of my life. Currently live in the oldest town in the country, Ribe, which is more than 1300 years old(!). The amount of culture is something that I majorly adore here; walking on a cobblestone street amongst the old, crooked buildings is amazing and is always one of the first things I do, whenever I return from travels.
I absolutely adore working with people, and have been doing it for many years through both coaching at my local handball club, as well as working as a teacher… and obviously at camp as well! I especially love interacting with kids and teenagers and help teach them something new, whether that is something expressive or school-related is secondary, as long as I get to be a part of the ‘ah-ha’ experience. Even better is it, if the children are able to teach me something; I love learning new things!
I love all sports, but have a special place in my heart for the ones involving any type of ball. In Denmark we play this awesome game called (European) handball, which is a huge passion of mine. I have played it since I was 3 and have also been a coach for about 8 years, so it has been a big part of my life. Other than that, I’ve played a more than a decade of football (it’s not called soccer!) and have dipped my toes into a plethora of other sports over the years.
Words cannot describe how excited I am, to travel across the pond in order to once more help bring the magic to life during a plethora of amazing activities. While Playstations, Storied Experiences, or Evening Programs are going to be one of my focuses this year, I am equally looking forward to the campfires, clinics, and – most importantly of all – spending time with YOU, and getting to know each and every one.
Extreme quick-fire facts:
- I have lived on 3 different continents!
- I was born in Pasadena, CA. Dual citizenship, yeeeeah!
- My dog is a golden Labrador named Uffe.
- Have visited more countries than I am years old.
- Once upon a time, I used to skateboard.
- Sunscreen is amazing.
- Somehow I once managed to break my ankle during a music lesson.
Things I learned last year at Camp Augusta:
- Challenging yourself is the best way to grow.
- Woodchip dust gets everywhere!
- California gets real warm during Summer. (Who’d have thought?)
- When unkempt, I apparently carry a resemblance to both Ed Sheeran and Rupert Grint.
- No one has a chance against me in a table tennis match!
- Ghosts are surprisingly fast runners.
- Expect the unexpected.
- It is a lot easier to call me ‘Casp’ rather than Casper apparently.
- Hydrate or die-drate (water is important)!
Looking forward to seeing you soon amongst the woodchips!