Hallo, Hallo from Camp Augusta!
My name is Natalie and you can call me Nat – this is my second year at Camp Augusta (having spent the first Summer as a counselor) and I have the privilege of coming back in the Village Leader role for Manzi.
- I live and travel the USA in my big blue van – Van Halen. I’ve visited more than 20 National Parks in the last year.
- I have developed a recent obsession with rock climbing and I have been challenging my fear of heights. It’s been super empowering learning to do something I previously thought I could not do!
- I am Wilderness First Responder certified as well as Lifeguard certified.
- My favorite mantras are: “Stop, breathe and believe,” and “pretend you are already good at it.”
- I love to write poetry and my favorite poet is Mary Oliver. Here’s a poem I wrote at camp last year:
In the woods, under the big trees, by a lake called Vera is a place that already feels like home.
All sorts of lovely languages, food fairies, smiles, ninjas in the pines, dancers in the air, fire spinners, jugglers, artists, writers, creativity galore and of course Lazy Dog.
Caution flying children, this is a good sign and have you seen our octopus?
Yes and…no is the beginning of a conversation. So many possibilities.
Walls of cool shattering with every new character, skit, imagineering. Magic. Flow, rhythm, movement and hula hoop twirling.
“Don’t forget your water bottle and stay hydrated y’all” and “WHERE is my water bottle”??
Leaning into vulnerability, dancing with tears and fears – swirling, twisting, turning, burning – doing the robot with tears and fears. Emotions! Emotions. EMOTIONS.
The best kind of awkward, silliness, getting lost and found in the woods – eyes adjusting to the darkness and light and I still haven’t figured out what I want to be when I grow up.
Difficult conversations and deep talks on short walks. Growth. Attachment and loosening my grip on expectations.
And, don’t forget to take time to look up at the trees.
An incredibly special community – a family I’m choosing to choose. Opening to a sort of love I’ve never known. Not yet. My heart is breaking wide open. Lots of self compassion in practice. Tender. Tender. Tender.
Sunsets, evening glow and the golden hour. Days long stretched with a desire to linger. I can’t wait to linger a little longer here with you.
Some things I adore:
- Dogs: Soft puppy bellies – specifically, dachshund puppies.
- Words: Specifically, the word “stoked”.
- Dancing: Preferably, awkwardly.
- Open, honest and clear communication: Specifically, Non Violent Communication and the work of Marshall Rosenberg.
- Pushing my challenge zones: I’m a big fan of Carol Dweck and her work on Mindset – I like to think I’ve got a growth mindset, because I’m SIX feet tall 🙂 (I also LOVE dad jokes)
- Podcasts: I love listening to podcasts and some of my favorites are: Invisibilia, Super Soul Sundays, OnBeing and Brian Johnson’s Optimize podcast.
- Books: My current favorite books are – Radical Candor by Kim Scott, Emotional Agility by Susan David, Harry Potter!, The Four Agreements, poetry books (Mary Oliver, Rupi Kaur), My Friend Fear: Finding Magic in the Unknown.
The TOP ten things I’m excited about for Summer 2018 (exclamation marks reduced – add 3 or 4 more):
- Woodchips between my toes and up my nose!
- Meeting all the Manzi, Cedar, Oak and Pine campers!
- Dancing during EP’s!
- Playing ancient witches and other mystical creatures daily!
- THE FOOD AT CAMP! It’s organic, lovely and incredibly delicious!
- The Manzi hammocks 🙂
- Singing at campfire!
- Swimming in the lake!
- Feeding baby goats!
- Finally – living in a community full of people with different view points, backgrounds and strengths!
See you soon in the woodchips 🙂