When my mom was pregnant, she was obsessed with names that start with E. She couldn’t decide what to name me, so she created a poll and stuck it on the fridge. Her favorites were Eleanor and Eloise, but the only name that got any votes was Elizabeth. So she named me Elizabeth and called me Beth!
For the past 2 summers I worked at Camp Tioga in Pennsylvania as a counselor and Hiking Specialist! Tioga is a sleep-away camp where campers stay for 7 weeks. My first summer I lived in a bunk with 25 ten year old girls and five co-counselors! The second summer I lived in a bunk with 15 fourteen year old girls and four co-counselors.
I attend Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I am incredibly fortunate to study Recreation Management in a place surrounded by national forests and the Blue Ridge Parkway! Recreation Management students and professors believe nature is the best classroom- many of my class hours are logged in the great outdoors!
10 Things That Make Me Really Happy
- Going to amusement parks on cloudy days (NO LINES!) – riding every roller coaster back to back as many times as I can
- Climbing trees, rocks, or laying sprawled eagle on the top of a mountain for hours, refusing to go inside until it gets dark
- Discovering waterfalls so mossy you can slide down them (natural water slide!)
- Blowing bubbles out the window while sitting in traffic
- No cell phone service
- Finding a natural seat in a rock formation or the perfect tree branch to lean back against
- Analyzing dreams
- Sliding in socks while dancing on the kitchen floor
- A dog’s smile
- Spongebob quotes (“CHOCOLATE!!”)
Some of the most beautiful things I’ve seen
- The northern lights peeking over the city center– Edinburgh, Scotland
- 360 view of the White Mountains on top of Franconia Notch Ridge Traverse — New Hampshire
- 20 inches of snow — Boone, North Carolina
- My first sunrise rising above the ocean — Outer Banks, North Carolina
- A man in a kilt kissing a woman on the street — Edinburgh, Scotland
- A moose running over a frozen lake in June– Steamboat, Colorado
- Jumping 50 feet into clear blue water Nay Aug State Park — Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Sunsets over the James River watching the train chug by — Richmond, Virginia
- Beaches made of stone, not sand — Block Island, Rhode Island
- Two bear cubs wrestling by a stream — Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
I am a huge Harry Potter fan/nerd! My siblings and I dressed up for every midnight movie premiere since the Prisoner of Azkaban! I have read the series all the way through 3 times, but Order of the Phoenix is my favorite (read 6 times). What animal would your patronus be? Mine would be a fox!
Senior Halloween my friends and I made traffic cone costumes out of duct tape, fabric, and creative juices! In between each class we would decide on a doorway/hallway to block. Sometimes we’d spread ourselves out and ask people to run in between us 🙂
In high school I ran cross country and track year round. Senior year we won District, Regional, and the State championship in cross country!
Avatar the Last Airbender is one of my favorite cartoons. I was STOKED when the live action movie came the theaters…I was the only one who dressed up…I’m still surprised the theater let me carry that stick around!
I LOVE MUSIC! Above is a picture of Boone friends & I (with our Boone flag) at Okeechobee Music Festival. Over 90 people from Boone caravanned and camped together in Florida for Okeechobee. My favorite performances were GRIZ (all time favorite artist), Rainbow Kitten Surprise (local band from Boone!), Bassnectar, 12th Planet, The Lumineers, and Cold War Kids.